Structurally Drying Homes and Buildings
How soon after I suffer a water loss should I get the structure dried out?
The best answer is as soon as possible. Nothing good occurs by waiting or delaying structural drying processes. According to the CMHC, the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (Canada’s equivalent to The United States FHA organization), “immediate action is important, your house and furnishings are less likely to grow mold if they are dried within 48 hours”. Many organizations in United States suggest a time limit of 72 hours; however. Frequently mold may not be visible at the initial stage of a water loss; however, mold root structures may in place and not visible but located deep within the pores of various building materials, they are opportunistic and just waiting for moisture and humidity conditions to allow them to proliferate.
In addition to mold considerations, unpleasant odors are often a byproduct of a water loss that was untimely or improperly mitigated. Frequently, these unpleasant odors are microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOC’s). Exposure to MVOC’s is undesirable and may cause or contribute to a wide range of adverse health effects. We perform a substantial amount of air and surface sampling and other various types of mold testing in response to our clients concerns about possible adverse health effects which they attribute to mold exposure; in particular, MVOC’s are sometimes the prime suspect not the actual mold spores.